Labels

Sunday, May 19, 2013

That Texas Sky

If y'all remember, my very first blog post was about driving through Texas (Waco to Houston) on the way to the airport for my european adventure.  There was a gorgeous sunset in the incredible Texas sky, and I appreciated it's beauty as I said goodbye.

Now, I want to tell you about driving through Texas (Houston to Waco) on the way back to Baylor from the airport, after finishing my european adventure.

(But I didn't take any pictures this time, sorry.  And it will be a bit more emotional.  Sorry.)

My friend Thomas was driving Jaime & I back to Waco, but we had not found a ride to his car, which was parked in Houston, but not at the airport.  Luckily after spending three months in Europe and mastering every city's public transportation system in every language, finding a bus into the city from the airport and a train from a bus stop to a place near where his car was parked was a breeze.  I mean, duh, it was all in english.

Anyways, I wasn't really excited to come back to the states, to say the least.  As soon as we got on the road on the bus from the airport, I noticed how insanely ugly all the buildings are, and I was just disgusted.  I sat there trying to think positive thoughts and remind myself over and over again the few things that I like better about America "ice.  free water.  free bathrooms.  ice.  free water.  free bathrooms..." but it wasn't really working.

Until I caught sight of downtown Houston.  I think my jaw literally dropped.  I just starred for a while.  The buildings made me think of outer space; they looked so new, so foreign, so modern, so huge!  I had gotten used to european cities and forgotten what american cities looked like.  Of course, I like Europe better, but I was just stricken by how incredible our cities are here.  Growing up right outside of Chicago, I guess I had always just taken them for granted, but american city skylines from the outside looking in are actually insanely cool.

Anyways, after our american public transportation adventure and realizing there was not nearly enough room in Thomas's car for all our stuff, but by some miracle fitting it all in, we got on the road to Waco.

Now, there is something about driving through Texas that's just right.  We had a blast singing, dancing, joking, laughing, and eating taco bell, but we also had three hours to debrief and talk about the transition.  We all weren't ready to leave each other and go back to our separate Baylor friends that we were scared we could no longer relate to, and we were trying to figure out how to live like we did on the trip, but back in Waco.  I don't remember everything that was said, but I do remember that it was absolutely perfect.

And God provided the most beautiful sunset I think I have seen in my whole life.  As we drove it just took over the sky for maybe an hour, slowly descending and gradually painting the sky each color, one by one, in the most indescribably beautiful way possible.  As we watched the sky turn colors and listen to the perfect song, we all held back tears as we realized that our adventure doesn't have to be over.  We can still travel.  We are changed people, and just because we are returning to the states doesn't mean we have to turn back into the people we were when we last lived here.  We shared a beautiful life-changing semester, and we will never be the same.

When the sun finally fell completely, the sky was left with a perfect rainbow on the horizon all around.  It was absolutely beautiful.

On that car ride, I realized something that probably seems obvious to you, but was a huge deal to me: Life isn't ending just because the most amazing three months of my life so far are ending.  Every day is an adventure and an opportunity to explore and learn and grow.  God's plans for my life are bigger than the last three months.

It's so good to reflect and reminisce on the amazing time I had studying abroad, but I am also excited to move forward.

In July, I will be taking off for a month in Kenya to serve the people, teach them skills to equipe them for a better future, share the Light and Love of Christ, and preach God's Word.

I am beyond blessed that I get to do this, especially right after God has so clearly put the rest of the world on my heart.  It's been so evident that He has a plan in all this, and I am really just along for the ride.  Sometimes I don't get why, often I doubt, and occasionally I get frustrated at Him, but lately He has overwhelmed me with signs of Himself working in my life and giving me peace.  It has been absolutely incredible.

So now that study abroad is over, as I move forward on my journey and head to Kenya, this blog will transform to document my experiences there.  So if you want to know how the trip is going, this is the place to be!

If you would like to help me on my trip, I still have some needs for humanitarian donation items to bring, finances, and lots and lots and LOTS of prayer.  So please let me know if you're interested in helping me out in any of these and I can give you more information!  It was be greatly appreciated!

I can't wait to watch God move.

No comments:

Post a Comment