Labels

Saturday, February 16, 2013

Inverness, Scotland

For carnival break after a few days in London, we went to this beautiful little city in the middle of the Scottish highlands to enjoy nature, Scottish culture, and Loch Ness.


We took a beautiful walk in the wildlife along the river, which was a very calming, lovely change from the craziness of London.


We went shopping and bought some fun Scottish clothes; the boys tried on kilts and got in trouble because we were at a nice authentic Scottish shop, and they did not appreciate us trying them on just for fun with no intent to purchase. #hilarious



While all my friends took a nap, I decided to walk around town just my camera and I for a couple hours to see and experience everything because I wanted to get some good views of the beautiful countryside.  

It was so peaceful, fun, and a perfect opportunity to get some alone time, which I cherish so so much.

 I'm learning how to balance my time so that I get sufficient alone time to happily spend the rest of my time in my mates' company.

After my walk, I was ready for a fun evening of Scottish pubs, cider, scotch, ice cream, singing, dancing, chatting, and getting to know each other.


The following morning, we took a cruise of Loch Ness to Urquhart Castle, which we explored for an hour, followed by a visit to the Loch Ness Exhibition Center, before heading back through the gorgeous highlands to Inverness.  The countryside, Loch Ness cruise, and castle itself were all absolutely stunning.  I have no pictures of any of them.  To explain, I will include a exert from my journal:

"It's crazy how old the place was, and the rich history and life of the beautiful castle we were walking through.  I forgot my camera battery in the hostel so I couldn't take pictures and was pretty upset, but it ended up being awesome because I was more focused on what matters: enjoying the beauty for myself and really taking it in and thinking about where we were and the history of the ground we were standing on and being fully present with my friends; instead of just focusing on getting the best picture I can, which often becomes my goal with a camera around my neck."


The last thing I want to mention is that before leaving Inverness, I had the greatest dessert of my life:
Bailey's Rich Dark Chocolate Pudding
which is not American pudding, but I really have no idea what it is, except that it literally tastes amazing and changed my life and the texture more resembled cheesecake than pudding, but it was incomparably better than cheesecake.


No comments:

Post a Comment