Labels

Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Friendship

Sitting on a blanket with Kristin and Leigh in the grass outside our building, watching my friends play tennis and basketball and soaking up the sun.... it's a beautiful day here in Maastricht.

As I have mentioned, I absolutely adore this city.  I love walking through the cobblestone streets, watching people enjoy their long lunches, eating a pastry from whatever bakery I walked by that smelled the most incredible.  I love that there are students everywhere, I love what people wear, and I love navigating around bikes instead of cars as I walk.

No matter how beautiful and perfect this little city is, I think what I love the most about being in Maastricht is the friends I have made here, who came all the way with me from Baylor, but I never would have met otherwise.  I am amazed by what I have learned from the people around me as we discuss on trains or cuddle in the dorm rooms or enjoy sandwiches at Kiwi and discover what God wants for us together.  My mind has been going crazy over-thinking life and reflecting on everything I am experiencing here; it's overwhelming.  I am so thankful that I am surrounded by solid Christians who I can share it all with.  I knew I would grow closer to the people on this trip, but I had no idea that I would make such incredible friendships as I have already so far.  I have gotten to know some incredible, loving, hilarious woman of God, and I just cannot imagine being here without them.

(I'm listing these in alphabetical order by first name)

There's Ellen, my beloved roommate.



This girl listens to my rants at all times of day, pretends to listen when I just need to process something or decide what to do by talking out loud, and deals with my emotional rollercoasterness that comes out when I haven’t gotten enough sleep, which is basically always here.  She calls me out for things
as they are when I need it and thinks through all my random struggles when I can’t make decisions for myself.  She shares her chocolate with me when she knows I need it, and leaves me very nice notes.  She jams out to all my favorite country, worship, or rap music with me at night when we both have energy and thus sing at the top of our lungs, and sits in silence with me in the morning when we both don’t.  She drinks more Pepsi max daily than I’ve ever seen a person consume, always has a spoonful of Nutella if she’s in the room, and doesn’t judge me for my insane daily chocolate consumption levels.  If anything, she joins me and encourages me to eat more.  She organizes everything and always has situations under control, even if it’s at the absolute last minute.  She always sends me little pieces of encouragement through articles I might appreciate via email or words of wisdom that come out of her mouth straight from God.  She is an inspiring writer, prayer warrior, Christ follower, and incredible friend.  I’m so thankful to be living with this girl!

There's Jaime, my wonderful partner in crime.


Dancing like crazy with this girl just about anywhere, standing in awe of God, talking about whatever is on our mind, peacefully taking in the world around us together, jamming to country or worship or california music while stretching, or wandering around the streets of Maastricht, it's always a good time with this amazing woman of God.  On top of that, she is genuinely the most kind, loving person I have ever met and so clearly reflects Jesus in the way she treats and loves the people around her.  I've already told a story about how insanely patient and self-sacrificing she is (if you want to hear about it, see my Switzerland post by clicking on that link), I think it is definitely worth repeating.  She shares all her food, in fact we've gotten to the point before of eating the exact same thing and not being able to eat without knowing the other is eating in the same way.  She encourages me in Christ and gives me Godly advice and always makes me feel better.  She enjoys life and lives it to the fullest.  I seriously cannot imagine being here without her.


There's Kristin, my fabulous twin.


This girl constantly surprises me with random new things that make me like her even more, from her heart to her humor.  She enjoys everything about life and loves facilitating other people's enjoyment of life.  She is constantly making me food and sharing everything she has.  She loves to worship God in every situation and always finds opportunities to praise Him.  She enjoys everything about life and is always too much fun to be around, never taking things too seriously.  She listens and understands and shares her insights, reflecting Christ's light and the joy of following God in everything that she does.  She has taught me so much and inspires me in a new way every day.  She understands and embraces the simplicity of loving Christ and living for him, knowing that "it may be difficult, but it is never complicated."  She loves having company over, has a beautiful singing voice, and is one of the most genuinely generous people I know.  I absolutely love everything about her.

I am so blessed by these, and so many more that I did not have the time to write about, friendships!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment