Labels

Monday, April 1, 2013

Salzburg, Austria

Salzburg is a quaint city surrounded by a gorgeous mountain range, known for it's musical festivals featuring the best musicians of the world, being Mozart's birthplace, and other classical music-y things.  Not being a huge classical music-y person, I wasn't there to attend any concerts or anything, but I can definitely still appreciate the simple beauty of the place.


The main event of our visit was going on the Sound of Music tour, which I definitely enjoyed mainly because we got to see Salzburg outside of the main city center.  Also, I loved it a little more than your average person because can basically quote along to the entire movie, as I found out when we watched it the night before the tour, even though I can't remember the last time I've seen it, but I know for sure that I was a child.  It was also wonderful because I went with Brittney, Berry, and Travis, who are all such fun people to be around at all times!




It was wonderful to see where one of my favorite movies was shot, but it was mostly so wonderful because Austria is just so dang beautiful.  Beautiful palaces, mansions, and castles on the sides of mountains; a beautiful combination between city life and natural life; and beautiful scenes of fields, lakes, mountains, and forests.  All of the places we went and things we saw are even more beautiful in real life than in movies and pictures, which I would say is a pretty common trend throughout my European adventures.









The highlight of the tour was getting coffee and apple strudel at a cafe on the edge of a mountain overlooking the most beautiful scenery I have ever sat back and casually enjoyed during a meal, including the field in which the children have a picnic and learn how to sing in the movie.



Our driver was quite the character, as I explain in my journal: "Our tour guide was insanely knowledgable!  And VERY passionate about the history of the VonTrap family, which was kind of weird, but obviously was super good for the tour."  For the entire four hours, when we we're listening to the soundtrack, recordings of the original VonTrap Family Singers, or traditional Austria folk music, he was spewing out more information.  Along with the entire true story of Maria's life and everything about the making of the musical and movie, I learned a lot of super interesting things about Austria's history, culture, and people.  It was the perfect way to learn so much!




Besides the tour, we spent some time wandering around the little city, taking it all in.  Thankfully, this included a stop for ice cream each day.


Saturday afternoon, we walked through an absolutely gorgeous garden in the middle of town, which I was such a sucker for.  I absolutely love admiring beautiful things.





Friday night, Jessica, Anna, and I had a lovely long authentic dinner in which we indulged in some lovely personality and body-movement analysis through people watching.  We then explored Salzburg, joined by Katie, Steph, and Maddie.


Although we were only there for a day and a half, Salzburg was a magical little city in the middle of Europe that has the perfect combination between beautiful scenery and city life, and I am glad I got the chance to see it with some wonderful people!



No comments:

Post a Comment