Labels

Saturday, July 27, 2013

The TEC Room (Sewing Class)


I have a bunch of new best friends.  My heart has completely broken for these girls.  I love them so much and cannot stop thinking about them, so I thought I would just talk about them and my experiences with them for a bit.


They’re all very shy at first, and a few of them speak very poor English.  They are polite and quiet, sewing their brown paper dresses and blouses because they cannot afford to learn on fabric.  Until they get excited about something, and then they just cannot stop giggling.

Judy is the best dancer and by far the silliest.  She loves to randomly do crazy, funny little things and cannot stop giggling whenever we are having fun.  She is super outgoing, but has the worst English, so we are always just goofing around and playing in ways that don’t require speaking the same language, which is always a ton of fun.

Helen speaks English the best, is the best at sewing, and was the first one to ask me to sing.  She’s 18, and she never got to go to high school because her parents couldn’t afford it.  She felt abandoned and alone, without friends and without a future.  Her parents made her come to take the sewing classes at the BCC, and she went reluctantly, ashamed and angry at God.  Through the teaching, mentoring, and Godly guidance of Zippie (the girl’s amazing teacher, who I will talk about later), Helen found Christ and found hope.  She is now one of the most joyful girls I have ever spoken to and is so on fire for the Lord.  She is a part of
a community of friends of girls in the same situation as her, she’s excited for her future, and she has found her joy in God.  She loves Him and trusts Him with her life, always wanting to praise Him and thank Him for the blessings He has given her.

Agnus is the youngest, straight out of 8th grade, and is always smiling.  She is quick to participate in whatever fun we are having and gives everything her all.  She has one of the most joyful spirits I have ever seen and is always up for
anything, spreading her contagious joy for life and eagerness to learn to everyone around her.

Violet’s the newest member of the class, so she is a bit quiet and reserved still.  She dreams of one day becoming a doctor, but she ended up in the sewing class for the same reason as Helen: her parents couldn’t afford to send her to high school.  She loves singing more than anyone else and will gladly join in with a beautiful, loud voice, but always shyly and after enough other people have started singing together.  She is kind and gentle, but always glad for an excuse to have fun with the rest of the girls.


 I could go on and keep talking about the rest of them individually, but I will save that for a later day and get onto my time with them.  They teach me their worship songs, how to dance, some words in Swahili, and how to sew.  All I’ve taught them are a couple of worship songs, but I hope I am encouraging, loving, and giving them Jesus.  I certainly know that I am at least making class a lot of fun!



These girls all live in the slums of Nairobi, and the only life they know is one of extreme poverty, hardship, and suffering.  I’m grateful to bring joy into their lives and have fun with them for the short month that I am here, but I am even more grateful that they have found hope and love and a future through coming to the BCC and learning how to sew from a woman who is so set on giving them Jesus.

On Friday morning, Zippie gave a devotional to her girls on Jeremiah 29, giving them hope for their futures through Christ and telling them that they can rise out of the slums and live a life that is not so full of pain, sorrow, and tears anymore because God has great plans for them.  She used my trip to Kenya as an example of things we never knew could happen to us happening for us, and told the girls that my life is evidence of the amazing things that God can do and that their lives will be full of amazing things like mine and they will get the chance to live their dreams, whatever they are.  I could not stop crying.

 These girls have found hope and joy in the Lord through this program that gives them Jesus and the practical life skill of sewing.  The workers at the BCC are truly living out the gospel through the work that they are doing, I am just so thankful to get to be a blessing to them and be a part of the work that is already going on here.

No comments:

Post a Comment